Sunday, November 30, 2008

Birthdays and Flyers

I hate not updating my blog even for a day. It feels like the world is passing me by without me keeping tabs on it. I need to do records. I need to write things down. Only then will I feel secure, reassured and live life to the fullest.

:)

Which is why it bugs me that I've been lazy. Yesterday, I went out with friends to celebrate V's birthday. Today is the next day, and the day is almost ending, and still I've not yet blogged about it. So here you go.

Unless you want to go into the nitty-gritty details like who said what and who ate what which is really boring and will probably keep you off this blog forever (btw, I ate Tom Yum Kung at Secret Recipe and it was really nice and I had two big prawns which was probably really nice if they weren't two big prawns and I felt really full and then two big prawns became two big THREATENING prawns and S didn't have any prawns which was disappointing and unfair but she had strawberry milkshake which I didn't order and that was disappointing and unfair too! and the others ate lots of food including the beautiful chocolate birthday cake that had Batman icing!! on it of which I couldn't finish though but the others could indicating hence their supreme digesting powers) I will probably not tell you in detail what the rest ate.

The gist was this, though.

We ate and were happy. Sometimes, we were lame, but mostly it was contenting. More importantly, it was V's birthday. And we went up the Singapore Flyer and saw pretty Lego things, which made it an overall awesome day. Yay!

Pictures:

My excuse for not editing these photos is that I'm eating an apple right now and have only one available hand and everyone knows you can't edit photos with one available hand. OK sorry, I've edited them a little.



The birthday cake. I know, pretty right? There is a story behind this.



The birthday cake after A's elite cutting skills. A's hands move at a speed virtually undetectable to human eye, hence creating a blurry effect on all cameras and lenses.





One of the things I sometimes regret when I go out with friends is not taking enough pictures. More often than not I am caught up in the actual event of being there, rather than remembering to pause and whip out my camera to capture the moment.

The one aspect of the day that was extremely special was going on top of the Singapore Flyer. Similar to the London Eye, Wikipedia says calls it a 'Giant Observatory Wheel' and Singapore Flyer calls itself 'the world's largest observational wheel' - a surer corporate branding if I've ever seen one.

What I think the Singapore Flyer actually does is to allow you time to cozy up with your partner in a capsule situated about a million feet off the air while people around you are busy snapping photos of the setting sun behind the city centre buildings. A serious answer, I think, would be:

The Singapore Flyer allows you to take a step back to access yourself.

Pictures:



The Flyer at night. No entry is complete without stealing images from Google.

Pictures I took:



This is the capsule we were in, shaped like a... capsule. Takes about 30 minutes to make one rotation.



Our view.

The buildings down below look like Lego, very miniature and unreal. For some reason, they kinda remind me of the time when I accidentally stepped on a couple of Lego bases and my feet hurt like hell afterwards, which made me think: what if I were to step or fall on these buildings? And then I realise:

Entirely suicidal.



Fields and more buildings. Why no cow?



Sunset. The scene is 100x better than the photo.

It is funny how often we see these things everyday - buildings, the sun, silhouettes, roads, rivers and lights, and yet it is only when they are framed in a certain way that we actually stop to consider the effervescence of our surroundings.



I took this shot because of the red buildings, hovering so unassumingly at the edge of the water but commanding more than enough attention. Sneaky. 0:]

"Stop being emo there," S says to me at some point in time, and then I moved over to sit with her. We took some pictures, including a black-of-white one of V's head growing out of my back.

This, I decided, was my next stage of mutation.

Sorry, no photo.



A bad shot, but nevertheless: cars moving past down there gives me an urge to raise my thumb to measure them. Looking at the cars from above makes it surreal that humans could be actually harmed by these objects. Car accidents are tragic and encompassing, but when you're stranded a million feet above ground everything below you appears harmless and small.

And then a truck of workers went by and I realised, oh we are smaller than that.



More rainbows, so pretty... even with the stain. Sorry about that.



Sorry, this entry is a lie. We actually went onto a rollercoaster at the record-breaking height of 420 feet going at a speed of 120mph and I was successful in not screaming or fainting. Also, I fell asleep in my seat. NEXT!



Just kidding. Night lighting makes the Flyer seem like Escape Theme Park, a sure sign of an identity crisis.


Okay, this appears to be quite a long entry but is actually not really. I guess my only gripe at the end is that the ride goes far too slow and takes way too long. Don't get me wrong, it's rather nice: the capsule is big, there are chairs if you're tired, and the view from around is very pretty and blissfully escapist.

However, 30 mins for an unchanging view, however nice it is, just grinds on you after a while.

Hence, I propose a few improvements to the Flyer:

1. A performance. Have everyone in the buildings opposite us dress in red jumpsuits and at selected intervals, will have to pop out of each glass window with arms raised screaming "Yay!"
2. Have helicopters flying past us at scheduled intervals, leaving behind trails of clouds/smoke/stardust that say "WELCOME TO SINGAPORE."
3. Have random people scale up buildings and if made to the top: beat chest and roar like King Kong.
4. Situate cows in the fields below.
5. Situate cows leaping onto one another in the fields below.
6. Spanish bullfight. Just kidding.

Last but definitely not least, it's 1am. Meaning, a new day. Meaning...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY V! I do not know how to add sparkles on happy birthday greetings ever. But please have a very very merry 21st and pretend this message has sparkles even if it doesn't! :D

Also hope that you're reading this, and if you're not, then my SMS when I wake up later on.

LASTLYYY. I am hungry. And sorry that I fail at reading blogs. ;_;

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger d said...

omg that cake looks amazing! I totally want some. -drools- and those pictures are really pretty. now I wanna visit Singapore and ride that thing. haha

November 30, 2008 at 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHY NO COW?! << Rofl. You wanna pay the COE for it?
*Jumps out of glass windows in a red jumpsuit screaming YAY*

Dudette you got to ride on that thing :O Sweet! *envyenvy*

Now you've so gotta try reverse bungee-ing ;)

December 1, 2008 at 4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady with cow affections, you should post those pictures on Facebook! I grow weary waiting for Shue Jun to upload the pictures ROFL.

Nice shots btw, of the view on the S'pore Flyer. But I agree with you, they should make it into a roller coaster ride, not an over dramatised ferris wheel. Then we'll have vomit spewing from cabin to cabin! Sweet! :S


OMG, MY HAND DOES NOT EXIST! :O

December 1, 2008 at 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

<3 I'm reading this a day late, but nonetheless, you know I am touched!

I thought you had sheep affections, not cow?

V

December 1, 2008 at 11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

V - She obviously has a "herd complex" :D Xin <3 you are still cute nonetheless dontkillmeok? :)

December 2, 2008 at 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i thought it's your birthday when seeing the title. then i remembered your birthday is next year.

i heard that the sg flyer is quite boring. after the first few minutes' excitement, you would get bored cos the thing is moving so slowly and the view doesn't change much. but i guess as long as you have friends together with you, this shouldn't be a problem =)

the sunset view is beautiful. i always like all those buildings along the riverside, especially at night, with all the lights on - i kind of know that those lights are from the poor people who's having OT.. so i'm enjoying other's bitterness, haha.

and happy 21th birthday V! though I don't know you, but congrats that you can finally watch R21 shows.

December 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger xinleh said...

V - OF COURSE I still love sheep. I, in fact, am a strong advocate for sheep rights, the likes of which have been stolen by cows.

Alfidoritos- HAHAHA NAME JUST POPPED UP IN MY HEAD. Herd mentality... sorry that just ricochets in my mind and make me laugh.

December 3, 2008 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger beautyinsleep said...

One of the things I sometimes regret when I go out with friends is not taking enough pictures.

Me too. I don't like pictures being taken of me, but I'd like to start taking more photos of my friends when we go out and have fun.

December 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg I didn't know you can use LJ ID here! *out of touch*

They'd give you those board cows like they placed it on an open space along the highway. Which suck. Colourful cows D:

Whatever happened to sheeps?

I've yet to post my side of the flyer!

December 5, 2008 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home