Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Review: Milo

Okay, so this morning we had McDonald's for breakfast and if you were living in Singapore like me you probably wouldn't care that your breakfast was done by a brand with as much health benefits as the fatty side of a chicken wing.

Anyway, so I was eating, and thinking, and eating, and thinking when this thought came to me:

Milo is really popular here.

There are other stuff, definitely, like Ovaltine, cereal and ginger drinks that I occasionally drink, but Milo has an appeal unlike any other brands. That is to say: everyone drinks Milo. Everyone loves Milo. By everyone I mean 'everyone I know and possibly the rest of Singapore' because goodness knows I'd like to meet someone with murderous tendencies towards the brand. o.0

This is what Milo looks like:


Hello, my middle name is I Steal Images from Wikipedia!

If you live in the US (and don't know what Milo is), it's basically the the equivalent of hot chocolate. I presume, as the closest I have to drinking hot chocolate was drinking Milo, and I probably couldn't tell the taste between the two even if I tried. (Hence, revealing my limited life experience and subtle brand loyalty.)

If Milo was a boyfriend he would be the scruffy boy-next-door with thick blame frames, studying economics at NUS while taking you out to Long John Silver's on Fridays, sometimes preoccupied if he'd get an A on that Sociology paper, but most of the time preoccupied with you. You know: safe, practical and cute. :]

Drinking warm Milo when I'm hungry makes me feel like I'm sitting in front of a fireplace on a snowy day. The fire is cackling, the snow is falling, and I'm on the couch with my hands shoved to the fireplace wishing fervently for someone to warm me up, and here comes this guy (who is faceless, but picture him cute, handsome, mysterious and MY BOYFRIEND.) Anyway, he moves up next to me, rubs my shoulders gently and says:

"A Milo for your thoughts?!"

Hahahaha! Okay, you guys, I apologise for destroying any faith you have left of romance. My point is this, however:

Milo is a drink that warms you both on the inside and outside. How? For starters, it's cheap and you can get it at any convenience store near your house. For seconds, it's readily available, and comes in all forms of packaging: cans, bottles, cartons even powder. That's like going to McDonald's when you're insanely thirsty --

Cashier: Small, medium or large?
You: Powder all the way, baby!

Thirdly, you can trust that it won't disappear from the market any time. :) The brand is one of those things (like um, SOAP. and sponge!) that have been so seamlessly integrated into society that you don't realise its existence anymore. I see it on billboards, I see it in someone's glass, and right now I'm seeing 3 packages of it right next to the fridge.

And the most amazing thing to possibly happen is the fact that YOU CAN EVEN BUY MILO WHEN UNDERAGE!

Can you picture what the world would be like if you have to show your IC to buy Milo:

You: Hi, can I have a can of Milo please?
Storeowner: You look young for your age.
You: Um, well you see--
Storeowner: IC please.
You: The thing is--
Storeowner: IC please.
You: I don't--
Storeowner: NO MORE MILO FOR YOU, BOY.


*roars* Blasphemy!!!

Yep.

Right now, I've just turned on this song from Romeo X Juliet the anime (which you should check out if you like awesome art and sappy plot.) and it's making me really emo, hence I will cut this entry short while I retreat into my personal journal for some reflective thinking and personal development.

That is all. And you know I never intended for this to be a review but here's what I got and there you go. Hope you've enjoyed it and remember to caress your Milo next time with utmost delicacy.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly a quote-worthy journal. You've opened up my eyes to the world of MILO.

Like chocolate representing the insane amount of men (sarcastically speaking of course) in society and MILO BEING THE PERFECT ONE, out of the bunch. Who cares if Godiva, Ferraro, or even Cadbury (though the last one's been quarantined with a disease aka MELAMINE, so sadly, he's unfortunately unavailable till the AVA sys otherwise) are unavailable and too.. classy to make you happy.

I AGREEEEEEE, POWDER BABY! PAO-DAH!

But if you see it in a different light, Milo does sound pretty pervy now, haha.

And before I end this insanely long comment. I will introduce to you, a phrase, to stir your curiosity much. Tim Tam Slam. Youtube it girl, YOUTUBE IT! :)

November 19, 2008 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger xinleh said...

HAHAA STICKSANDBONES I LOVE YOU LONG TIME!

Don't do this to me, man! I don't want to drink Milo the next time and think, "OH PERVY THOUGHTS!"

Tim Tam Slam. I have never saw Natalie Imbruglia in such a different light. One word: LOL.

November 19, 2008 at 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I'll drop a prayer for your abandoned blognames when I remember

2. I'll never see Milo Dinosaur the same way again at Indian prata shops. Ever.

Oh my Milo babeh. x33

November 20, 2008 at 6:28 AM  
Blogger d said...

Linnn, haii! I made some sort of google account just so I could comment on your blog. because it's that good. xD so I've never heard of Milo since I live in the US. but it's from Nestle and I like to drink my Nestle powder chocolate milk called Nesquik and it's pretty darn good so it's most likely the same thing as Milo. and yes, it makes me feel all warm inside as if I'm sitting by a fireplace on a cold day. right now all I'm missing is the actual fireplace..

November 22, 2008 at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home