Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jay Chou

Okay, I must admit I don't listen to a lot of Jay Chou as his singing style always reminds me of frying beans: the beans jump around the wok without much goal and purpose.

So imagine how surprised I was to tune in to one of his songs today and realise with a start that I could understand what the man was saying.

Perhaps I am too tired and am having one of those moments where my brain decodes anything thrown at it.

Guys, is that an achievement or what? Not saying I hate Jay Chou or anything. I just assumed that the guy had an abstract way of singing that is only comprehensible to me under the influence of alcohol.

Anyhow the song is Dao Xiang.

For a minute there that I listened to it I thought to myself: this is IT. This is the moment where I get my hyperness back. But I guess I be needin' more of those Jay Chou songs, bartender.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Hey! I'm not exactly a follower of Jay Chou but I do love his songs. However, I do have to agree with you that I don't know what he's singing unless I've heard them umpteen times. LOL.

Honestly, I don't listen to non-English songs for lyrics but for the tunes and tempos. Gotta cut some slack for the guy. He's got talent, I must admit. And he's so god damn famous that he can make some nonsensical song into a hit.

Weilin

November 25, 2008 at 5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you believe that my classmate went from a C5 to an A2 for her Chinese coz she listen & read his music and lyrics every single minute of the day? I think she's still a hard core fan. The wonders of Jay Chou, I can never understand, but heh, for obvious reasons :P

November 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger xinleh said...

I wish Blogger had an easier way of replying to comments... o.0

Weilin -- heyyyy! Good to see you here :D I was checking out your blog, wanted to comment but for some reason couldn't find the link..? I think Jay Chou really has the talent, and even if he doesn't, still the talent to get bazillions of people to like his songs. Definitely ditto tho the nonsensical song bit, but he does have a few good ones that I wish were a bit more comprehensible... like Ye Qu and my favourite, Ai Zai Xi Yuan Qian.

Alfi! Omg! Are you serious? That's so hardcore, LOL. But Jay Chou has quite a couple of pretty, meaningful lyrics. If only I could understand what he's singing. o_o

November 26, 2008 at 3:57 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hey Xinleh, I had a blog. Past tense. ;) I kind of didn't like the name after 2 years and deleted it on a whim. I'm still thinking of a good name but they were all registered. :/

November 26, 2008 at 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay's lyrics are getting more and more chim. I'm fine with the beautiful oriental-style sentences, but i think somehow the lyrics writer is overdoing it with this latest album. seems like he's writing chim stuff for the sake of it, and the words feel forced.

but yeah Jay's pronunciation has improved a lot.

November 27, 2008 at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home